Welcome > Timeline
of Nudgee Junior College in 1938 was the result
of attempts to alleviate boarding accommodation
shortages at Nudgee College. On the 10th of
July, 1938, His Grace, Archbishop Duhig,
formally blessed and opened the new NUDGEE
JUNIOR COLLEGE. In the school's first year, 46
boarders and 6 day pupils were enrolled, under
the first principal, Br. J.M. Wynne.
In 1939, World
War Two broke out, resulting in the college
being taken over by the U.S. Army. In early
April 1942, Nudgee Junior was taken over by the
U.S. Army Station Hospital - the 153rd.
Approximately 160 personnel were stationed here.
The base was under the command of Colonel Rice
from General Macarthur's staff. The majority of
the casualties were serious burn cases from the
U.S.S. Sims and Neosho. During this period the
college lost its first boat. The "Garry Owen"
was cruising near the hospital when it burst
into flames and sank. All aboard had to swim for
the shore. The students meantime had been
transferred to Mt. Tamborine, although very
little was recorded during this time.
During the 50's
much work was done around the college to improve
buildings and accomodation. In 1951, the school
suffered an outbreak of meningitis. Fortunately
the epidemic passed without any loss of life. In
1955 the College suffered its first floods. 1959
saw the first Parents and Friends Association
formed, with Dr. A. Inglis as its president.
In 1964, Years 1
and 2 were no longer offered, and by 1967, Year
3 was also dropped. Br. L. Reagan became
principal in 1967 and set out to improve
facilities and standards, particularly, the
school library. During the 1974 floods much of
the grounds were underwater, and the college
housed many nearby residents for a time, without
power or telephone. A fire destroyed a block of
Year 7 classrooms in 1984, and this led to the
opening of the present Year 7 classrooms and the
spacious multipurpose hall, under the principalship of Br. P. Harney.
extensions took place in 1988, the Jubilee Year,
with a further 4 classrooms completed which now
house the Year 5 & 6 classes. In 1993, a further
classrooms were added to house the present Year
In 1994, a
decision was taken by the Provincial Leadership
Team of the Christian Brothers to re-locate the
boarding to Nudgee Senior College. And so 1995
saw Nudgee Junior College become a day school of
approximately 300 students, providing an
excellent standard of education, which has
always been the hallmark of our college. In
1998, the first school board was appointed and
continues to give direction to the school
community as it plans for the future development
of the college.
In recent times,
the school has undertaken a huge building and
renovation project which has improved
facilities. In 2007, a new swimming pool complex
was opened and the old site demolished and taken
over to gardens. A new classroom block was
completed in 2009 to cater for the growing
school population, which currently stands at 460
students. And in 2010, a new Learning Centre
will be constructed to deliver upgraded library,
learning, ICT and staff facilities.